Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:40:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 suggestions

> >1.) I have just increased the kernel buffer size in /usr/include/sys/msgbuf.h
> >    as I was advised by Joerg Wunsch.
> >    It works great. Now I can see all kernel start messages when invoking
> >    dmesg. Since I have 14 devices attached to 2 Adaptec 2940 this was not
> >    possible before.
> >    Wouldn't it be a good idea to increase this number in general, let's say
> >    to 8k, in 2.2 and in current?
>
> hmm, maybe.

There are already 3 people who emailed me asking how exactly it had to be
done. They all said, it would be nice if the buffer was increased
by default :-)

> >2.) In function Disk_Names, which resides in /usr/src/lib/libdisk/disk.c,
> >    the maximum number of disks probed is limited to 10 for each device
> >    type wd* or sd*. This means, that my disks sd10 to sd14 won't get
> >    recognized by Disk_Names and therefore by sysinstall. Even
> >    if you haven't got this number of disks, sd10 can be reached quickly,
> >    by wiring down targets 0-6 at scbus 0 to sd0-6 and targets 0-6 at scbus 1
> >    to sd8-14 as I am doing it at the moment.
> >    Maybe it makes sence to increase this number too. My suggestion would be
> >    16 or 32 at the moment.
> If you have that many disks, you will soon grow out of screen-real-estate
> too, so I don't think this is really important...

That's true. For me it works, since I use sysinstall only for the root fs
and do other disks later by hand. I only wondered if there is also another
use of Disk_Names() somwhere else where it might become important...