Date:      Mon,  9 Oct 1995 22:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Win95 trashing SMC EtherPower

My general response to your SMC query is this: disable PnP both in the
bios, and in the device.  We configured several systems at CMU (and
other places) where Win95 and FreeBSD would disagree on which plugging
and playing should occur.  Use your software config program (ezconfig or
ezstart, most likely) to disable PnP and configure permenant
non-conflicting settings.  For some reason people have to run the
ezconfig save twice to get it to save sometimes?  Then reconfigure
BSD/Win95 to match this settings.  I'm not sure how much effect changing
the CMUS PnP settings has, but it prevented my CMOS from deciding to
switch around my comm ports for no reason I could determine (I'm on a
Gateway 2000 p120.)

-Robert
----
    Robert Watson (rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu) * Double major: IDS/CS * H&SS