Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:40:38 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Alexander Frolkin <alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 4.0

In message <20000331190328.A4215@gamma> Alexander Frolkin writes:
: AFAIK, it is necessary to install a 4.0 kernel before doing installworld.
: According to src/UPDATING, pccardd needs to be recompiled to work with the
: new kernel. The problem is that /usr/obj and /usr/src will be NFS mounted,
: and the network card is a PCMCIA NE2000. Can I just build and install the
: new pccardd and then reboot, or is there something else I will need to do?

Yes.  build and install the new kernel, build and install the new
pccardd (with the new pccard include files, so as part of make
buildworld is the best way to build it).  Then it should be safe to
reboot.  Keep a copy of the old pccardd and old kernel around just in
case you botch something.

Warner