Date:      Thu, 23 May 96 18:45:20 EDT
From:      Kazem Akbari <akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu (Kazem Akbari)
Subject:   Re: How to install FreeBSD from an IDE CD-Drive?

|==>
|==> > I tried "mount /cdrom" several times and the system returned:
|==>
|==> > 	"cd9660: /dev/wdc0c: Device not configured"
|==>
|==> Ah. ATAPI CDROM. You'll need to compile a custom kernel for ATAPI
|==> support, as I believe the kernel which is installed (even if you use
|==> the ATAPI boot floppy to install) is the plain GENERIC kernel which
|==> doesn't have ATAPI support. See the documentation for instructions on

Yes, it is absolutely  true. I installed  the  FreeBSD five times  and
every time I came  across the same  problem for the building of  ports
and mounting the /cdrom. I installed  both from boot floppy and CD-ROM
direct, but result  is the same. Anyways,  I got a IDE CD-drive  (TEAC
6x) and I am totally confused what to do  next. Even the documentation
make me  more confuse and I  really need help for the correct/complete
installation of my UNIX system. It will be  greatly appreciated if you
give me a clear direction in detail.

Thanks,

Kazem.

|==> compiling kernels. You will need to have installed at least the
|==> ``ssys'' kernel source code distribution to be able to do this.
|==>
|==> Gary
|==> --
|==> Gary Palmer                                          FreeBSD Core Team Member
|==> FreeBSD: Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info
|==>