Date:      Sat, 03 May 1997 02:04:15 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

At 06:38 AM 5/3/97 +1000, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>The thing *I'd* like to know is how to get Earthlink to stop allowing
>relay.  I've e-mailed them the sendmail rules on how to do it, so they
>can't claim ignorance.

Sure they can.

There's an ISP near here that is so poorly run that they can't get anything
right.

For example, normal users could telnet into the mail server. Their solution?
Disable telnetd on the mail server. They forgot to disable rlogin.

They also reportedly had the permissions wrong on /tmp. A friend of mine
(who is one of their customers) emailed them the exact command
"chmod 1777 /tmp". Their response? "We're working on it.".

Some people *really* are *that dumb*.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/