Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 06:22:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: All this and documentation too? (was: cvs commit: src/sys/isa sio.c)

> [trimming CC list]
>
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >
> > Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:
> > > mdoc.samples(7).  Now tell me that that's not intuitive.
> >
> > It would seem mdoc.samples(7) does not teach by example :)
> >
> > des@des ~% man -t mdoc.samples | lpr -Plex
> > Usage: .Rv -std sections 2 and 3 only
>
> This is a bug in man, actually. Section 7 is misc, and anything
> *can* go there. It's perfectly possible to have something in need of
> section 2/3 features that happens not to qualify as section 2 or 3.

It isn't a bug in man.  It is a problem with the mdoc macro package.
Technically, mdoc.samples is using a *roff macro in a section that
shouldn't be using that macro (the .Rv macro).  I've known about this
problem for quite some time, but just haven't been willing to commit
the fix, since mdoc.samples(7) is the only man page that spits out
this error.  I do have a fixed version of the mdoc macro package
that ignores this error for section 7 man pages.  Since I've seen
a few comments on this in the past few months, I suppose I'll
break down and commit my changes.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.ORG or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net