Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:07:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  The usage of MNT_RELOAD

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Luoqi Chen wrote:
>
> > > The flag MNT_RELOAD is not documented in mount manpages.  From the source
> > > code, I find that it is always used along with MNT_UPDATE which can be
> > > speficied by user (-u option).  Can anyone explain the usage of MNT_RELOAD
> > > for me?  It seems not to be used normally.
> > >
> > It is created almost exclusively for fsck (and similar programs) to update
> > the in core image of the superblock (of / in single user mode) after the
> > on disk version has been modified.
> >

> Does fsck have to run on a MOUNTED filesystem?  If so, your answer makes
> sense to me: if fsck modifies the on-disk copy of the superblock, it does
> not have to unmount and then remount the filesystem, it only need to
> reload the superlock for disk.

Filesystems do not have to be mounted to fsck them (in fact, it is
generally bad to have them mounted rw when fsck'd); however, in order for
the root filesystem to be fsck'd on boot, it must be mounted ro in order
to access the fsck program itself.  After done fsck'ing, it can remount
rw for normal operation, done without actually unmounting the filesystem.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.