Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:03:38 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick Question

On Apr 23, 2006, at 4:08 AM, fbsd wrote:

> It would help if you would ask a question.
> Nobody has ESP to read your mind.
>
> You have to provide background information with your question
> so people on this list can grasp what you are talking about.

What you are talking about with the alpha, amd64 stuff is the
specific architecture that the installation media was compiled for.
For more information about computer architectures, refer to some of
the following links:

"What is computer architecture?": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Computer_architecture
i386 architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
alpha architecture (I believe): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha
amd64 architecture: discussion included in i386 link.
powerpc architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC

If you have an intel or amd processor, then you have an i386
compatible machine.

Depending on whether or not you have 64 bit computability though
(which you probably should know based on either the name of the
machine, or you should be able to search through the i386 link shown
above and determine whether or not the machine is x86 or x64,
searching for that should be trivial), things may differ to the
extent that you may or may not be able to use the given CD compiled
on the FreeBSD site. For example, AMD64 has a 64-bit mode (for 64-bit
precision and all that), but has compatibility built in to be able to
run 32-bit programs (which works nicely in 5.x and 6.x I have read in
comparison to the <4.x series of FreeBSD). Some of Intel's 64-bit
processors doesn't do that though (I'm specifically thinking of the
older IA-64, or Itanium processors), while others do offer that
functionality IIRC.

HTH,
-Garrett