Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:52:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > How is this different from the current implementation?
> >
> > File descriptors will not be made non-blocking like they are
> > currently in libc_r.  When a thread blocks on I/O, it _really_
> > blocks -- no other threads will be scheduled within that
> > [rfork_thread'd/cloned] process.
>
> So, reversing the logic ('not be made non-blocking'), file descriptors
> will be made blocking?

Right, err, well, they're whatever the application decides to set
them to.

>  This doesn't seem like progress, but I may not
> understand the implications.

Some folks find that our libc_r doesn't scale very well for their
applications and that linuxthreads (under Linux) perform much,
much, better.  libc_r will still be around for folks to use; this
will be a separate library (libpthread).

Solaris 8 provides /usr/lib/lwp/libpthread that provides (by
default) a library tailored for NxN.  They (Sun) found that it
performed better for Java threads.

> > Other PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM
> > [rfork_thread] threads will continue to run.
>
> So, you're going to create a system similar to Linux-threads, but with a
> more BSD-like license?

Right.

--
Dan Eischen