Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2015 22:15:13 +0200
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, "Gardner Bell" <gardnerbell@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: RealTek 8179CE

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:32:39 +0200, Gardner Bell <gardnerbell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've installed 10.1-RELEASE on a Toshiba Satellite but the on-board
> wireless nics are not being picked up by any drivers. From the pciconf
> utility it is showing as.
>
> none2@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x019110ec chip=0x817910ec rev=0x01
> hdr=0x0
> vendor = 'RealTek Semiconductor Ltd'
> class = network

I don't know.
Googleing for the chip number gives me only somebody else asking the same
question.
https://www.google.com/search?q=0x817910ec

> none3@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x02000 card=0xfa401179 chip=0x10a01969 rev=0x10
> hdr=0x0
> vendor = 'Atheros Communications Inc'
> class = network
> subclass= ethernet

I guess this should be handled by the if_ath driver, but I don't know if
it supports this specific chipset.
Googleing for the card and/or chip idea also gives more questions from
people trying to make it work.

> If anyone has an idea what driver these cards may fall under or how to
> have
> these attach to a driver would be appreciated

I just bought an 'Intel Centrino Advanced 6235' which is only supported by
if_iwn in 11-CURRENT and not in 10.
You might try to boot from a USB stick with a 11 image on it.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/

Regards,
Ronald.