Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:43:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Dempsey <chrisdempsey@yahoo.com>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, xpert@xfree86.org
Subject:   Re: Geforce 2

This is untrue.  According to nick@nvidia.com, and in
my experience, the drivers available for download
through NVidia or through a X CVSup update are
different packages.  NVidia posts both a GLX and a
kernel driver for linux.  The same GLX driver under
BSD seems to work fine, the kernel driver does not.
According to him, a BSD port is in the works, when it
will arrive he was not terribly specific.

--- Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au> wrote:
> Thus spake Ian Fricker (ifricker@uiuc.edu):
>
> > I recently installed freebsd. I have a Creative
> Labs 3D Annihilator 2
> > with Nvidia's GeForce 2 chipset. It isn't
> supported, and I was wondering
> > if you knew if there were bsd drivers for my card
> and where I can get
> > them. I've looked several places on the web and
> haven't been able to
> > find any, but maybe I'm overlooking something. If
> you need any more
> > info, let me know. Thanks.
>
> Please wrap your lines at ~70 characters.
>
> There's actually no such thing as BSD drivers for
> video cards; all
> graphics card drivers are part of XFree86.
>
> The best place to start searching for compatible
> cards is at
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/Status.html.
>
> Bear in mind that nVidia have traditionally been
> less than helpful in
> opening up the specs of their cards, so open source
> drivers may be hard
> to come by. There's a couple of commerical X servers
> mentioned at
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/x.html#AEN3014 which
> might help.
>

> Nick
>
> --
>  From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
>   "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild
> monkey."

> the message

=====
Christopher P Dempsey