Date:      Fri,  1 Feb 2002 22:52:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using VGA Output on a Dell XPi

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:28:33 -0800
> From: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
>
> I'm using an old Dell XPi notebook PC. It is nice to be able to hook
> it up to a "real" monitor and keyboard. It has an "CRT/LCD" toggle
> control that works perfectly when I'm just using syscons terminals. It
> has three modes, LCD, CRT, and both at once. If it detects the VGA
> plug is being used, it automatically goes to CRT only.
>
> The problem is how to set this up right with X. Right now, if I am
> using the CRT and type 'startx,' the CRT loses its signal and a
> pattern of black and white horizontal lines show up on the LCD. If I
> Ctl-Alt-F1 back to the terminal, all is fine. On the other hand, if I

THANKS YOU VERY  VERY VERY MUCH !  I've been  tidling XF86config for 8
years now on my DELL Latitude  XPi 90ST to find the right setting that
would  synchronize  correctly  with   the  LCD  and  avoid  that  ugly
stuff. The  only way I found  up to now  was to avoid white  and other
very bright colors, and of course,  no gray pattern.  At least I'll be
able to get a neat picture on my LCD! Thank you very much! (Of course,
since I  never hook  any CRT  on my laptop,  I never  had a  reason to
switch the LCD/CRT mode...).

Thanks a lot.

> toggle back to the LCD, and with the LCD enabled, type 'startx,' X
> comes up fine on the LCD (which it has for years). And if I now toggle
> to the CRT from LCD, X comes up on the CRT. It needs some tuning, but
> the picture on the CRT looks OK.
>
> Anyone have some clues for me how to avoid having to do the
> CRT-to-LCD-to-CRT toggling and still have X work? What would be good
> would be to be able to tell X which I'm using so I can get the mode
> right (my LCD is 800x600, but the video chip set can handle more
> pixels than that). It would be totally cool if X could figure out
> which device I was using on its own somehow.

Well, there must be  a bit and a couple of routines  in the BIOS to do
that. You'd need to know what they  are, and to write a driver to call
them, Of course, they're DELL specific routines.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around