Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:31:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        davids@webmaster.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: swap-related problems

Quoth David Schwartz on Wed, 14 April:
: > I think Andrew Reilly's suggestion of having malloc
: > mmap it's own store file pretty well moots this disagreement.
: > I can scarcely believe I didn't think of it in the first place.
:
: 	You are assuming that malloc is the only overcommit case. I do not believe
: this is true. I believe that fork can cause an overcommit too. Likewise,
: even simply running multiple copies of the same executable causes an
: overcommit case.
:
: 	This may solve something, but it's not the general overcommit problem.

It solves the ANSI C compliance problem, which is one whose
significance I understand fairly well, although I do not have to deal
with it myself.  ANSI C doesn't specify the behaviour of fork.