Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:50:52 -0500
From:      James Riendeau <jtriende@wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems after upgrade

I recently upgraded my system from 5.4 to 6.0 using buildworld, etc.
That went very smoothly.  I then ran portupgrade , and that broke
Gnome2.  The primary problem was the clock applet could not start.  I
then ran gnome-upgrade.sh to do the job properly.  It completed
without error.  But Gnome is still exhibiting bizarre behavior:

The Gnome 2.12 splash screen will not disappear until you click on it.
Gnome has amnesia.  It will not remember it's settings.  For example,
I set the background, logout, and startx again:  the background is
Xorg's grey crisscross pattern.
Gnome will only allow me to selectively left-click.  For example, I
can open a program, but I cannot click on any menu options.  I can
open a Preference Pane, but I cannot click on Logout under Desktop.

I've tried deleting the gnome dot folders/files under my home
folder.  That doesn't help, much.  It gives me the ability to click
logout during the first session, but I then it doesn't work during
subsequent sessions.  If any config or log files would help diagnosis
this, let me know which you would like to see.  Any pointers would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks,

James Riendeau
MMI Computer Support Technician