Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:53:29 -0500
From:      "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt@stcloudstate.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   5.3-BETAx Boot Problems

Hello, I am still trying to get FreeBSD Beta to work but am running into
problems when my system boots.  The boot problem appears to be occurring
just
after the IDE drives are detected but before the root file system is
mounted.
These are the last four lines of text that are displayed when I try to
boot
from either ISO or after running CVSUP:

  md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc09b6c5c
  ad0: 29314MB <IC35L030AVV207-0/V21OA66A> [59560/16/63] at ata0-master
UDMA66
  ATAPI_RESET time =3D 1630us
  acd0: CDRW <Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100/1.0c> at ata1-master
UDMA33

When 5.2.1 or 6.0-CURRENT are installed on the system everything boots
fine
and the next line is:

  Mounted root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a.

I looked at /var/log/messages and did not see any boot problems logged
when I
had CVSUPed to 5.3-BETA5 or 5.3-BETA6, attempted to boot, and then
re-booted
with the 5.2.1 kernel so that would suggest a problem mounting the file
system
for writing.

The boot problems are occurring after I build the world, build the
kernel and
install the kernel but before I install the world.

I looked at the GENERIC kernel from both the 5.2.1 and 5.3-BETA6 systems
and
the only options that 5.2.1 had and 5.3-BETA6 doesn't are:

  options   PFIL_HOOKS
  options   INVARIANT_SUPPORT

5.3-BETA6 has two options and eight devices that 5.2.1 doesn't.  The
options
are:

  options   GEOM_GPT
  options   ADAPTIVE_GIANT

The only two devices that I could possibly see affecting my system are:

  device    mem
  device    io

I do have 5.3-BETAx installed on two other systems so I can't imagine
why it's
not working on this one Dell Celeron system that want it to be on.  I
don't
imagine that I'm the only one having this problem as I have seen other
cases
reported but I haven't found a solution other than going to 6.0-CURRENT
which
I would like to stay away from since it'll probably be a while before
it's
considered stable.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ben