Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 17:50:20 +1000
From:      Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com>
To:        User Gandalf <gandalf@messias.qhigh.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgresql Autovacuum how?

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:39:41 +0200
User Gandalf <gandalf@messias.qhigh.com> wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> I have FreeBSD 6.1 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3 installed. I had to change the
> pg_hba.conf settings, because I need to open the 5432 port for everyone
> (SSL enabled). For this reason, I also gave strong passwords for all
> postgresql users. Now this is what I see in the daily run output
> (/usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/502.pgsql):
>
> vacuuming...
> Password:
> vacuumdb: could not connect to database postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>
> Errors were reported during vacuum.

I've created a .pgpass file in /root (which is read only by
root) containing the password for the pgsql user. A quick
Google on "pgpass" turned up this content from
http://pgsqld.active-venture.com/libpq-files.html:
_____

(...)

This file should have the format:

hostname:port:database:username:password

Any of these may be a literal name, or *, which matches
anything. The first match will be used so put more specific
entries first. Entries with : or \ should be escaped with \.

The permissions on .pgpass must disallow any access to world or
group; achieve this by the command chmod 0600 .pgaccess. If the
permissions are less strict than this, the file will be
ignored.
_____

> This is my pg_hba.conf file:
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local   all         all                               ident     sameuser
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
> hostssl all         all         0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0       md5
>
> The autovacuum script was packaged for FreeBSD, so I assume this is a
> FreeBSD specific thing. My question is: why ident/sameuser not working
> here? How can I enable auto vacuums without storing the password in the
> periodic/daily/502.pgsql  script?

I'm not familiar with the "sameuser" directive, presumably this
prohibits a system user from logging in as a user in the
database with a different name? If this is the case, I don't
imagine the solution I've described above will help resolve
this issue.

--
Nick Withers
email: nick@nickwithers.com