Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 17:42:31 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com>
Cc:        Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RTP vs. HTTP as streaming protocol, SMIL

I can give you some perspective from my experience doing some of the
early engineering and architecture work on UUNET's multicast infrastructure.
It's been a year or two since I've had direct involvement, though.

You can take it for what it's worth..

> I've been trying to find a service provider in my area (Silicon Valley
> of the South) that understands and can provide Multicast.  There are none
> that are affordable.  To get multicast, you have to go to Alternet or
> Sprint, and both of them are *WAY* expensive.

One of the barriers to widespread multicast deployment is to come up
with a service model that's sustainable.  That is, you don't go out of
business if you have to do a lot of it.

There's two or three major components to consider:

- capital costs of the hardware.  This probably isn't an issue at
scale.

- bandwidth costs.  While the popular opinion is that multicast should
be cheap, some analysis might lead to you other conclusions.
Consider what the cost per megabit/sec of bandwidth is and how that
relates to the price of the Internet service an ISP customer buys.
Unicast traffic from a customer arrives at the edge of the network, it
then transits some number of links/circuit miles, and is delivered
to it's destination, or perhaps a peer of the ISP.

For multicast, this is more complicated.  If there are significant
numbers of receivers, then the traffic is going to occupy capacity on
*more* links than the same rate unicast traffic will.  The cost
per megabit/sec of multicast traffic is then higher than for unicast
traffic.  From an ISP's perspective, replicated unicast is a "scalable"
solution from a business perspective (assuming the ISP operates with
a positive margin on his products); the objective is to figure out
how to survice success in carrying multicast traffic where the
network makes more traffic on behalf the ISP's customer.

- operational costs.  Today, you need to know *way* too much about
how multicast routing protocols work.  How much time will the install
engineer at the ISP going to need to spend to get your multicast
service working?  The trend should be that less and less human
time be spent per new installation as well as for ongoing maintenance
of any single customer's service.

Right now, it's possible for mere mortals to get multicast running on
an enterprise network.  But the case of inter-domain multicast which
requires nasty things like M-BGP, MSDP and crocks like that raise the
bar considerably.  There is hope, however, in this space -- single
source multicast will considerably reduce the complexity and fragility
of the current situation.

> Anybody interested in starting a new provider that actually has clue?

Good luck.  The tough part is managing to both stay in business and survive
success.  At some point, you have to hire more and more staff and they
can't all be uber-hackers.  Doing something once is a dis-proof of
non-existance and of essentially no value when you have to replicate
the something a 100,000 times.  Single-source multicast has the promise
of making things more "plug-and-play".

You can see some of these notions reflected in my remarks a week or so
ago regarding the motivations of the PPPoE protocol design.

Of course, fixing an engineering problem leaves you the business
problem to contemplate and resolve.

Louis Mamakos