Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:21:03 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: root partition

Dear Philip,

Monday, June 24, 2002, 9:58:02 PM, you wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Jason P Holland <jholland@cs.selu.edu>
>>
>> yes, absolutely, that is a best practice.  if /var fills up, you don't
>> want that to affect /.  also, /tmp should be seperate, because its a DoS
>> since /tmp can be written by any user, they could conceivably fill up /.
>> the only case this would be ok, would be if you were installing on a
>> smaller hard drive, which gives you less room to juggle around.
>>
>> jason

PJK> Yep.  My usual practice is to create a separate /var partition,
PJK> create /var/tmp, and symlink /tmp to /var/tmp.

I usaly do
/usr/tmp -> /tmp
/var/tmp -> /tmp

and in /etc/fstab
/dev/ad1s1f    /tmp    ufs    rw,nodev,nosuid    2    2

For security reasons, because tmp is a all write dir.

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook
www.freebsd.org/handbook

How to get best results from the FreeBSD- questions mailing list
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html

Alternative:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html