Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:20:25 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Remotely on a Win2k Box

Brian McCann wrote:
> 	Hi all...I tried searching through the archives to find some
> help...but there was WAY to much returned.  So...here's my question.  I
> need to be able to open an X session (complete with KDE and all) from a
> Win2k Box.  I've got Xmanager for Win2k, and I can connect and get an
> xterm session via ssh, but when I type startx, it starts up X on the
> console.  I would have thought it would have grabbed the name/number of
> the display I was currently logged into to send the output to.  Anyone
> know how I can do this, or a good site with a how-to?

what's your $DISPLAY value set to? If it's :0.0, you need to set
it to be the host you're connecting from. try:

export DISPLAY=<remotehost>:0.0

where <remotehost> is where your ssh connection originates.

--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

weblog @ <http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>;

Miksch's Law:
	If a string has one end, then it has another end.