Date:      Wed, 13 May 2009 13:03:20 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@moneybookers.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC locking and filtering in FreeBSD

Stefan:

You are correct: This is not real security. In fact, I would argue that it's not security at all.

But many businesses that have to maintain hotspots -- especially some hotel chains -- are "allergic" to any sort of serious security. This is because a small but vocal subset of their customers just want to get on the Net and complain about any sort of security. Even having to enter a password or a WEP key irks them. (I personally think that these people are ignorant fools and are setting themselves up for identity theft and worse, but that's just me. And the businesses seem more willing to allow piracy of their Wi-Fi than to irritate these boneheads.) Also, these systems have to be usable by some fairly lame devices -- e.g. an XBox -- that aren't really computers and don't have the capability to run secure protocols or even a particularly good Web browser built in.

So, painful as it is, I have to help these guys implement systems which "bless" MAC addresses. The "arp -s" command can sort of lock an IP to a MAC address, but awkwardly and only for outbound packets. What I'd like is to get this into the firewall, so I can not only block spoofing but trigger a log entry when it happens.

--Brett