Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:51:14 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache child runaway process?

Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au> wrote:

>(note, may be FreeBSD specific)
>
>  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
>10506 nobody  105   0   492K   124K RUN    474:34 58.98% 58.98% httpd
>
>Has anyone seen anything like this before? I seem to get this
>occasionally, with a corresponding set of FIN_WAIT_2 connections showing
>in netstat.
>
>Note that it's occupying around 60% CPU.
>Apache 1.2.4, FreeBSD 2.2.5-R
>Also happens on Apache 1.2b8, FreeBSD 2.2.2-R

We have seen this with _really_ ancient versions of Apache, and it
seems to be related to CGIs and connections that are failing to
deliver data when expected to.

Does the Apache process come back to life when you kill -ALRM it?

I would also recommend upgrading to Apache 1.3.4: version 1.2 is no
longer supported, and the Apache Group wish to kill it off.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net