Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:20:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        gmarco@giovannelli.it
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make reinstall (elf) to an aout box

Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> I have to do a make reinstall from a 3.0-current (elf) to my libretto still
> 3.0-current aout (August)
>
> I used to do it by mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj via NFS . But now I am not so
> sure that it is enough ... Have I to do also make aout-to-elf or move-aout-libs
> before the reinstall ?

You can mount /usr/src and /usr/obj via NFS, then delete the files from
/usr/obj that were created as each phase of the aout-to-elf-install
was completed:

do_move_aout_libs
do_aout_installworld
do_aout_kernel
do_elf_installworld
do_set_objformat
do_install_kernel_reboot

Then do a `make aout-to-elf' and each install phase should be performed
on the libretto without re-doing the build steps (which are the ones
that take a long time).

I haven't tried this, so YMMV. 8-)

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137