Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:15:04 -0500
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dhcpd and dhclient concurrently?

I am running dhclient to connect to the net via my cable modem as they
require.  I run ipfw/natd on this machine to allow local systems outside
access.  I now want to run dhcpd for the subnets on local interfaces other
than the one connecting to the cable modem.

I started by reading the crab book.  It states that all physically connected
subnets must have a subnet entry in order for dhcpd to run.  Since the
connection to the cable modem doesn't know its subnet until run time I'm at
a loss as to what to do.

Is it even possible to learn the upstream address dynamically and be a dhcp
server for downstream devices at the same time?

I'm running FreeBSD-3.3-Release.

Thanks,
MikeC