Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:22:13 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba Auth.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 11:47:28AM -0400, Brian McCann wrote:
> Somewhat off topic, but somewhat related.  I would like to be able to
> have ONE place for ALL my accounts, both NT AND BSD.  The reason for
> this is I am setting up a mail server on a BSD box, but I don't want my
> users to have to remember 2 different passwords.  I know Samba can do
> Windows file/print sharing, but can I use it like NIS, in the aspect of
> using it to authenticate to my Win2k AD or WinNT user db?

Active Directory is Microsoft's name for their package of a bunch of
pretty well known Unix technologies that they've bundled together.

    http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/1997-12/windows.html
    http://www.aplawrence.com/Books/unixwin2kint.html

Take a look at the following ports:

    net/openldap
    net/openldap2
    security/pam_ldap

or anything turned up by 'make search name=ldap' in /usr/ports

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow