Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:14:22 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breaking up make.conf

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:49:16PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> Of course including bsd.cpu.mk and bsd.own.mk from sys.mk is likely
> the wrong thing to do in the first place.  It might be better to
> search ${.CURDIR}, ${.CURDIR}/.., etc for etc/defaults/make.conf (note
> no leading shash so it is relative to the dirs listed) and pull that
> in.  You'll eventually hit / in which case you pull in
> /etc/defaults/make.conf.  FreeBSD's etc/default/make.conf should be
> modified to do the same search except looking for etc/make.conf.  We
> should have no etc/make.conf in the tree.  People can edit that, or
> put it in /etc/make.conf as they see fit.

All that searching sounds like it would slow things down given the
number of times make runs during a make world.  On the other hand,
recursively including parent Makefile.incs until there are no more
parents, and then pulling in a config file also adds more work.

That also is a bit funky in that /usr/src/etc/defaults/make.conf
controls default settings for /usr/src, but it is also installed as
/etc/defaults/make.conf and applies to all makes, so it still has
global scope.

Perhaps you meant to say ./src.conf.defaults or something (i.e. there
would be a /usr/src/src.conf.defaults in the repo which has all of the
NO_* crap currently in make.conf, etc., and you can overrride this for
any subtree of /usr/src by sticking a src.conf there.

Anyway, the only real question here is whether to go for the iterative
.for search, or a recursive include.  Both can give the same
behaviour, so it comes down to which is more efficient.

> Something like the following patch, included after my sig.  Note, I'd
> also go for nuking bsd.own.mk and bsd.cpu.mk and moving them into
> etc/defaults/make.conf so we stop polluting the global make space with
> them.  .for loops are hard to terminate in make, so I didn't try.

You can't put bsd.cpu.mk in /etc/defaults/make.conf or I would have
done this from the beginning. It has to be included AFTER
/etc/make.conf, because thats where CPUTYPE is set.

Kris

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--