Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:27:32 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Eugene L." <root1101@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Upgrade: Ports That Need Rebuilding

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:17:08PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Thursday 16 April 2009 07:15:05 Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:49:43AM +0400, Eugene L. wrote:
> > > I am planning to update to CURRENT, been reading freebsd-current for
> > > some time, apparently some ports require rebuilding as they are kernel
> > > specific, like hal, so I wonder how to rebuild those ports automatica=
lly?

> > If you switch to another major version of FreeBSD, the best course is to
> > remove and reinstall all ports.
>=20
> All ports depending on libc. Which is everything except
> scripts. Removal isn't necessary. ports-mgmt/portmaster is one of
> those scripts that doesn't need recompilation and can be used to force
> recompilation of all ports that need it. Two for one deal.

Unfortunately, no port management tool deals completely with this
situation. The libc version isn't listed as a dependency, AFAIK.

I tend to make a list of all installed ports (with portmaster -L), wipe
all ports and remove any remains from /usr/local. Then reinstall all
ports listed as 'root ports' and 'leaf ports' in said list. This makes
sure you have a clean and consistent set of ports.

Roland
--=20

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--