Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:10:11 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing Question

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 06:50:50PM -0500, Sam Drinkard stood up and spoke:
> Having been indoctrinated to Unix some good many years ago with SysV
> (Interactive 2.01), I have over the years wondered *WHY*, if in a modern
> environment the print language of Unix has not changed from postscript
> to PCL, or other language common to today's printers.  Granted, the
> print converters and postscript interpreters are pretty good, it would
> appear to me that maybe with all the gui changes that have occured to
> both *BSD and Linux, there should be native support for these
> printers..  (Ever try to find an inexpensive PS printer nowdays?)  Just
> a wild thought.. anybody care to share your thoughts?

Well, what's the problem with the way it is? Using apsfilter and
ghostscript, I don't see a difference when using my HP Deskjet 930C (PCL
printer) vs. a "real" Postscript printer.

I simply do something like "cat <file> | lpr -Plp" and it gets printed on
my Deskjet. In X I simply click the "Print" button in whatever application
I'm using. I guess that if I had a genunie Postscript printer, I'd do
actually the very same. So, besides the need to set up apsfilter /
ghostscript properly for my printer once, I don't see much disadvantages /
problems with having a non-ps printer, and therefore I also don't see a
problem that the native printing language on UNIX Systems is PS.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany