Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:15:30 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        ryan.coleman@cwis.biz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Fixing" a RAID

Ryan Coleman wrote:
>>> Is there a way to figure out what order drives were supposed to go in
>>> for
>>> a RAID 5? Using a hex tool?
>> Do you mean that you physically unplugged them, and they were not labeled?
>>
>> What kind of disk controller is it?

> It's a HighPoint pATA controller, one drive went kaput so I replaced it
> with another 250G drive and went to rebuild and it wouldn't go. The drive
> itself wasn't actually dead, I did some running tests on it and it spun up
> OK in an enclosure and then in another machine. So I tried to put the
> drive back on the array and it doesn't believe in having data anymore.

Ok. The errors you were witnessing after attempting to re-insert it into
the controller, were they generated at BIOS level within the controller
bootup, or in FreeBSD. I'm completely assuming that your running OS was
ON these disks, so the former is true.

> This is a 4x250G R5 (so ~750G logical) that does have data on it that I
> would very much like to recover somehow. I know this is very likely a
> fruitless endeavor,

ah, ah ah, never say never, ever.

> I just need to try. OnTrack and other recovery places
> are just too expensive for this.

Recover from backup ;)

I'm kidding. It's too late for that, isn't it. read on...

> I can dig up the old logs (I think) from
> when she was firing errors two weeks ago.

Yes. Post the logs. If they are extensive, perhaps you could email them
off-list, with a notice to the list that you have them in the event
others would like to review them as well.

> The drive was formatted UFS2 as
> one large logical drive in sysinstall.

..so if I understand correctly, you had a RAID-5 with three operational
physical disks, and one hot spare?

Steve