Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:27:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>, Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Who's got the cheapest 100-BT Ethernet NIC?

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, David Kelly wrote:

> Couple of months ago found a vendor with a box of pulled Intel
> 10/100's and talked them down to 3 for $24. All 3 worked, as did
> the other 6 purchased by those looking over my shoulder.

Even if they didn't work, Intel supposedly has lifetime warranties on
their cards (white-box or retail, so long as they're Intel brand
cards).

I haven't had to test that warranty yet, so I don't know how easy it
is to take them up on it.  We currently have over 500 Intel NICs from
some old 82557 boards bought about six years ago all the way up past
the 82559 to the new whatchamacallit with the 3DES encryption in it,
and we've _never_ had one go bad.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org