Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2014 07:44:03 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Martin Alejandro Paredes Sanchez <mapsware@prodigy.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Print using LPR/LPD from Chromium

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 22:37:46 -0700, Martin Alejandro Paredes Sanchez wrote:
> El Sat, 09 Aug 2014 05:25:11 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> escribi=F3:
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 19:35:10 -0700, Martin Alejandro Paredes Sanchez
> > wrote:
> > > I am trying to print from Chromium, but in the dialog, only appear
> > > one option
> > >=20
> > > Print to a file
> > >=20
> > > From Claws Mail appear the option
> > >=20
> > > Print to LPR
> >=20
> > Do you have a printer installed? It's possible that the two
> > programs mentioned require CUPS for printing and won't work
> > when just the system's printing service is installed.
>=20
> Yes, I have a printer installed, a HP LaserJet 1018, I can print from
> CLI and from others programs

Okay, in this case you've probably met some of the (luckily few)
programs that do not play well with system means for printing.
For example, I know that I needed to install CUPS to be able to
print from the Opera web browser (even though I actually have
no need for CUPS). So a possible solution would be to first
examine if the programs in question rely on CUPS, and then
you go ahead and install it; make sure to disable system's
LPR facility or have the CUPS installation process replace
the system tools (check "make config" for the CUPS port).

Others than that, I could imagine (NB: not tested!) that some
programs check if $PRINTER is defined, which usually isn't when
you use the default printer name "lp". I have installed my
Laserjet (HP LJ4000 DN) printer with the name "Laserjet" and
set $PRINTER accordingly.

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany