Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 00:29:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCI problem: not finding de0

Please CC: me in your reply.

Not a very sophisticated question here.  I am working on a Compaq Prolinea
590 (Pent 90Mhz).  This is probably the tenth distinct FreeBSD box I have
build, and not the first to use this hardware (although I used ISA network
interface cards exclusively before this).  Among these installs, several
have become firewalls for xDSL customers.

I'm just building a gateway/firewall to front my new cable modem service,
and ran into a problem with the PCI network interface card. It is a
GFC2204 10/100, and the readme for linux says to use the DECchip Tulip
dc21x4x driver. Silly me I look up the de0 ... Digital Equipment DC21040
Ethernet adapter under FreeBSD and don't expect a problem. (the other nic
is a 3c509, no problems there)

Supporting the NIC doesn't look like a problem for FreeBSD, so I fire up
the install floppy and tear into a 2.2.8-RELEASE install.  I noticed that
dmesg had some funny stuff in there but nothing I would call critical.  I
went through and rebuilt the kernel, etc, leaving the device de0 line in
the config file of course.

Now I have finished all the other configuration for the firewall,
restarted the device on it's new kernel, and a little examination reveals
the following from dmesg.  Does anyone have a suggestion to get this
working (with the current h/w preferably)?

#dmesg
[...]
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
B irq 80 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
B irq 176 on pci0:0:1
chip2 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
C irq 16 on pci0:0:2
chip3 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
C irq 112 on pci0:0:3
chip4 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
C irq 208 on pci0:0:4
chip5 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
D irq 48 on pci0:0:5
chip6 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
D irq 144 on pci0:0:6
chip7 <generic PCI bridge (vender=0e11 device=4000 subclass=0)> rev 0 int
D irq 240 on pci0:0:7
vga0 <...stuff here...> rev 252 on pci0:10:0
pci0:13:    vendor=0x1256, device=0x1400, class=network (ethernet) int a
irq 11 [no driver assigned]

[...probing isa0 follows w/ no abnormalities...]
--- end dmesg ---

thanks,

--Steve