Date:      Fri, 22 May 2009 12:15:27 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libraw1394 and FreeBSD

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 08:20 -0400, Steve Polyack wrote:
> Hello,
>   I've seen a few posts in the archives referring to porting libraw1394
> to FreeBSD.  However, none of these appear to have been successful.  I'm
> considering giving this a shot, but I will likely need some guidance.  I
> have a few questions/points from what I've gathered from past discussions:

Excellent.  I'm around, but a little swamped right now under other
school related things.  I hope to have some free time soon though.

I've jotted down a few thoughts below.

> 1. libraw1394 implements some ISO 1394 read/write/stop/start/etc
> functions for firewire on linux.  It's been said that these are already
> implemented in the FreeBSD kernel modules which provide firewire
> access.  Is this correct?  If so, libraw1394 only needs rewritten enough
> to provide the freebsd kernel interface in a linux application-familiar
> sense.

Take a look at how fwcontrol interfaces with the driver.  Let me know if
you would like to see some changes at the interface.

> 2. What is going on with firewire development in FreeBSD currently?  If
> I attempt to complete this port, am I better off working with 8-CURRENT
> as opposed to 7.2-RELEASE?  I'm aware the USB stack in 8 is totally
> rewritten; is the same true for the firewire modules?

Firewire is fairly static right now.  I had hoped to start a bit of
re-writing before 8.0 is released, but it's going to be cutting it
close.

I have been enhancing -Current only for the last few months, and I have
been kind of ignoring 7 and 6.  So the code has diverged a bit. If you
can do it, please start with -Current and see what can be done there
first.

> I believe this would be a valuable port for FreeBSD.  It would enable us
> to use a wide range of audio and DV interfaces via firewire and existing
> linux "drivers" which only depend on libraw1394, opening up
> possibilities like using FreeBSD for audio and video editing.

Agreed.  Let me know what devices you have access to.

Sean