Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 95 08:33 PDT
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help..  FreeBSD's killing all my processes

In article <199510240210.LAA03933@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au> msmith writes:

>Blair Schmittel stands accused of saying:

>> I keep getting errors saying I am out of swap space.
>> I have never got this message before.  It says: "process ### killed by
>> vm_pageout, out of swap".  I had a partition mounted for swap, at least I
>> thought I did.  When I reboot it says: "swapon: /dev/wd0s1b not found".
>>
>> Whenever this happens, it kills some of my most important processes such as
>> named, and telnetd.  Any suggestions?
>
>Yeah, fix your swap problem.  Go have a look and see if /dev/wd0s1b actually
>exists.

When I got this right & left it wouldn't have been fixed by working on the
swap (until it got *BIG*); it turned out to be INN's expireover and a bogus
gigantic .overview file.  expireover reads in the entire .overview in a
single slurp and then works from there, takes about 4x the amount of memory
that the .overview is long.  Fix was just deleting the bogus .overview...

Check for various things like that, especially if the error comes up
mostly during news.daily...  If it is just random then you need more
swap and/or more ram.  Note that if you're using much swap then the
system performance is terrible so you should (usually) either fix your
job mix or add ram instead of swap...
(this is different in various versions of unix now; IRIX 5.x backs all ram
by swap so you need enough for all running processes.  At least it lets
you add swap on the fly in ordinary files, which we aren't up to yet.)

-- Pete