Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:03:26 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        nsouch@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpbb broken in 6.x?

John Baldwin wrote:
> What other devices do you have on your ppbus?  Do you have lpt0, etc.?  Are
> your running lpd?  The way that ppbus works is that only one child driver
> (ppi0, lpt0, etc.) can "own" the actual ppc device at a time, so when a child
> driver wants to do something, it requests ownership of the bus first.  You
> need to find out which other child driver owns the bus.

Hardware is an IBM/Lenovo T43, using the ppc driver. lpt was not in use,
nor was lpd. I do use cupsd, however it is only configured to use
network printers.

I tried this both with ppi(4) loaded (I normally load it to support
urjtag), and with no other ppbus devices loaded. I got the same results
in both cases.

I used devinfo to check if other devices were attached to the ppbus
parent. ppc0 always has a single child ppbus0. In the first case ppi0
was attached. In the second case only lpbb appeared to be attached, no
other direct children of ppbus0, printing the same message when
attempting to use the bus ("device not configured").

So, still no resolution here.

It would be very useful to use lpbb for initial write of a 24LC64 EEPROM.

cheers
BMS