Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:03:27 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Cody Holland <cholland@redmoonbroadband.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup Question

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:02:28AM -0500, Cody Holland wrote:
> Ok, I'm trying to do a simple tar+gzip backup for my file system.  I can
> do this no problem.  The backup is a little less than 2Gb.  What I would
> like to do is chop this up into 650Mb pieces that I can ftp over to a
> server with a cd-r and burn them.  Does anyone know a good utility that
> can do this, or another method that will accomplish what I'm trying to
> do?

You could use split(1) as others have suggested. But that means you have
to concatenate the parts on disk before you can restore the backup.

Another option is to use gnu tar (gtar) with the -F and -L options. This
will create a multi-volume tar file, that might be easier to restore.

Making incremental backups (with the -N or --newer-mtime options of
gtar) will also reduce the space needed by subsequent backups.

Yet another option would be to replace your CD writer with a DVD writer
and write it all in one go, with room to spare. :-)

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt