Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:36:05 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook - What's Missing?

Hi, Manolis

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Manolis Kiagias<sonic2000gr@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> Glen Barber wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Short of PRs and list posts, is there a central location to find
>> documentation that may be missing (or may need updating) for the
>> transition to the 8.X branch?
>>

> None I am aware of. =A0The major enhancements are always in the release
> announcement, though not all of these call for a handbook section (and
> there are other more subtle changes that may need existing sections to
> be modified).

That's what I had assumed, but I wanted to check if there was an
external resource (similar to the LOR reporting site).  I wanted to be
sure I didn't miss it somewhere in my searching.

[snip]

> (how often do you go searching in /dev?) but it resulted in the update

Too often.  More than anyone probably should. :)

> If you have a good idea of what is in the Handbook, you can probably
> find some sections that need to be updated by using the betas. =A0For
> example, trying out 8.0-BETA1 I was surprised that I could not configure
> my wireless card like I always did. Then I found out about the new
> virtual wifi and the changes needed in ifconfig etc. These will
> definitely need to be documented in the Handbook.
>
> A very good page to start looking is Ivan Voras' "What's cooking for
> FreeBSD 8?"
>
> http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd8.html

Yes, I've seen his "What's cooking" stuff before.  Very good stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

--=20
Glen Barber