Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:12:03 -0800
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW: rc.firewall script doesn't load when loading rules from a file

I am not sure how your situation is different than most, but I use
firewall_type="OPEN" instead of "/etc/ipfw.rules". The other
options will be listed in the file /etc/rc.firewall .

You may want to look at the following in the freebsd handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html