Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:12:33 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD / ihfc0 in NT-mode setup

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 14:55, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:
> I'm running ISDN4BSD 1.6.1 on FreeBSD 7 (-current) with a HFC-based PCI
> card:
>
>   ihfc0: <HFC-2BDS0 128K PCI ISDN adapter> port 0xd000-0xd007
>          mem 0xee024000-0xee0240ff irq 12 at device 6.0 on pci2
>   ihfc0: Attaching I4B controller 0.
>   ihfc0: Creating /dev/ihfc0.X.
>
> The card is connected to one of the two phone ports of a Swiss
> Telecom NT-BA 1, using a crossover cable (3-4, 4-3, 5-6, 6-7) without
> resistors (I'm assuming the NT-BA provides power and termination,
> correct?).
>
> On the second port of the NT-BA I connected a standard Swiss ISDN phone,
> using a straight cable. The phone gets power through the NT-BA fine. The
> phone has MSN "1" configured.
>
> Then I set up NT-mode using
>
>   # isdnconfig -u 0 -p DRVR_DSS1_P2P_NT -n -a
>   # isdnconfig
>   controller 0 = {
>     Layer 1:
>       description : HFC-2BDS0 128K PCI ISDN adapter
>       type        : passive ISDN (Basic Rate, 2xB)
>       channels    : 0x3
>       serial      : 0xabcd
>       power_save  : on
>       dialtone    : enabled
>       attached    : yes
>       PH-state    : G3: Active
>     Layer 2:
>       driver_type : DRVR_DSS1_P2P_NT
>   }
>
> When running isdntrace, I see L1 state changes (when I run isdnconfig
> -D/-a), but nothing else:
>
>   # isdntrace -u 0 -b -i
>
>   =========== isdntrace controller #0 =========== started Wed Nov  8
> 13:42:13 2006
>
>   -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:17.781261
> ---------------- L1 STATE: G4: Pending deactivation
>
>   -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:17.797972
> ---------------- L1 STATE: G1: Deactive
>
>   -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:19.859513
> ---------------- L1 STATE: G2: Pending activation
>
>   -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:19.863266
> ---------------- L1 STATE: G3: Active
>
> I tried to use isndphone to dial "1", but nothing happened (stuck in
> "state: DIALING", no trace output, ISDN phone shows no activity).

You need to configure "isdnd" before you can use "isdnphone". Try running
"capitest -u 0 -i 1 -o 1" instead.

> When I use the ISDN phone to dial any number, nothing happens, either, and
> the phone shows "No connection", no trace output.

Do you have "isdnd" or "Asterisk+chan_capi" running ?

A quicky is to just: "cat /dev/i4b > /dev/null &"

Do any messages appear now?

> Is my assumption wrong that I should be able to dial the ISDN phone from
> the FreeBSD box and vice-versa in this setup?

Not without configuring "Asterisk+chan_capi" or "isdnd".

> If that should work, does the above output indicate a problem with the
> cabling? Unplugging the crossover cable doesn't even produce an isdntrace
> output, should it?

It might be a problem with the cabling, but try dummy opening "/dev/i4b"
first, and see if messages does not start to appear when you run "isdndecode
-u 0 -i -x -o", and start dialing out.

> Or did I configure the controller wrongly? I'm not sure whether I need
> DRVR_DSS1_P2P_NT or something else, or whether isdndebug -T and/or -p must
> be used specifically.

If the messages you get use TEI 0 then it is P2P_NT you need to setup.

> Can any of the existing isdn*(8) tools be used to test this setup?

"isdntest" can do some basic testing, but "capitest" is better. "isdntest" is
not installed by default.

--HPS

PS: I recommend you install the SVN version of the driver. It has got a better
echo-canceller than the 1.6.1 version has got.