Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:25:27 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolving ips?

At 09:04 PM 9/23/98 -0500, Mark Murdock wrote:
>Yet another question for freebsd-stable network experts:
>
>When I try to telnet to an ip address, my system attempts to contact my
>name servers in my /etc/resolv.conf file.  I was actually unable to telnet
>to an ip due to this when my ipfw configuration was blocking udp on 53.

Just give it time... It will work eventually. The system you are trying to
telnet to is trying to lookup the name of the host you are coming from so
it can log it.

>Why consult the resolver?  Why not just make your connection based on the
>kernel routing tables?

I am not sure what you mean by the routing table in this case.. What you
are describing is a DNS timeout...If you want it to work faster in this
situation, then change /etc/host.conf to list hosts first, then bind and
add the necessary information in your /etc/hosts file.

	---Mike