Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:22:40 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marvel G450 eTV

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen said on Oct 11, 2001 at 15:34:04:

> > For DVD playback, try vlc.  mplayer (just tried this a few minutes ago) is
> > supposed to handle DVDs too (and probably much faster I'd bet), but the
> > FreeBSD port doesn't build in libcss support...

mplayer actually uses libdvdread, not libcss.  The freebsd port of
libdvdread is 0.8.0, which uses libcss; however, the newer version of
libdvdread is 0.9.x, which uses libdvdcss, which does work on FreeBSD
(there's a port too).  I checked that libdvdread 0.9.2 does compile on
FreeBSD, and then the mplayer port builds properly against this
libdvdread.  However, I don't have any dvds to check that it can play
them.  If I try with an empty drive, it gives an error message from
libdvdcss (the FreeBSD port) about not being to get the encryption
label.  So mplayer is linking to libdvdread, which in turn is linking
to libdvdcss, properly.  You could try it out, I think it may work.