Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 10:05:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with dhclient on 3-Stable

I am trying to get the dhclient to work with the DHCP server built
into my SonicWALL firewall. Of course, it works fine with Windows,
but on my FreeBSD boxes dhclient exits after sending out the message:
"select: Invalid argument". The configuration of the network is often
incomplete.

I captured the packet from the SonicWALL server and see only one
problem...the domain name is a null terminated string. But the RFC
states that clients MUST accept null terminated ASCII strings even
though server SHOULD not send them. So I'm very unsure that this is
the problem. Unfortunately, the dhclient is stripped, so gdb is not
very helpful.

On other possible issue is that option 52 is included with a value of
3. Both the SNAME and FILE fields start with 255 which indicates the
end of data.

Any ideas on how to work around or fix this? It really is a pain on my
laptop which moves between several nets on a regular basis.

Thanks,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)