Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:40:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Sodah <rsodah@index.com.jo>
Subject:   Re: monitor process

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 30-Jun-99),
the great prophet Dan Nelson once wrote:
> In the last episode (Jul 01), Sodah said:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have process that dies after 4 hours or more.
>> Is it possible to monitor it and make it starts again
>> in auto-mode without typing it at the prompt?
>
> what I usually do is write a small wrapper script:
>
> while : ; do
>   brokenprogram
>   sleep 10
> done

The daemontools port (/usr/ports/sysutils/daemontools) is excellent for
doing just this type of thing.  You can start a service (program) with the
"svc" command, and it will keep monitoring it, and, if it dies, will
restart it for you.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>-Member The FreeBSD Project| PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.