Date:      Fri, 07 May 2010 08:13:31 +0200
From:      Lokadamus <lokadamus@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: grub2 not in ports?

Am 07.05.2010 02:10, schrieb C. P. Ghost:
> Hello,
>
> has someone successfully ported GRUB2[1] to FreeBSD/i386
> and FreeBSD/amd64? I see no port sysutils/grub2 in the tree,
> even though I know that GRUB2 *can* boot FreeBSD directly
> and via chain-loading.
>
> And while we're at it, I'm wondering if there is an effort underway
> to make the kernel multiboot-compliant... maybe like NetBSD[2]?
>
> [1]: ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-1.98.tar.gz
> [2]: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2010/01/09/msg001747.html
>
> Thanks,
> -cpghost.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/sysutils/grub/pkg-descr

This port does not install GRUB on the master boot record of your hard drive.
To do this, or to use it with a floppy disk, you will need to read the info
page that is installed by the port.

When you will use grub2, you need a floppy or live cd to install it.
But no bsd- based live cd will have grub2 i think.

Sorry for my english :(
Cheers