Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:21:28 -0800
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   curl question - not exactly on-topic

Actually, it's not merely a curl question, it's a "curl and squid" question.

I'm trying to determine the cause of a major slowdown in web browsing
on our network, so I've put curl on the squid box, and am using the
following incantations to see if I can determine the cause of the
slowdown:

     curl -s -w "%{time_total}\n" "%{time_namelookup}\n" -o /dev/null
http://www.example.com

and

     curl -s -w "%{time_total}\n" "%{time_namelookup}\n" -o /dev/null
-x 192.168.1.72 http://www.example.com

The problem arises with the second version, which uses the proxy. The
first incantation just returns the times, which is exactly what I
want.

However, when I use the -x parameter, to use the proxy, I get html
returned as well as the times, which is a pain to separate out.

Can someone point me on the road to suppressing the unwanted output?

Kurt