Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:23:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dennis Jun <cappy@cr173116-a.etob1.on.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 installations problems; making a new filesystem

Hello all! Like many of you, I'm trying to install 4.0-RELEASE. However,
I'm getting some strange errors, which I'm not certain are indicative of
4.0 or something else I have misconfigured in my CMOS. Oh, please bare
with me if this an obvious error, I'm a FreeBSD newbie.

First off, I have a Maxtor 13.7 gig, 5400rpm, ATA33 hdd as my primary
master. When I get to the fdisk part of the install, I create 2 slices. 1
being about 50megs for / (ad0s1)  and then a 2nd slice for the rest. Then
in partitions I mount / on the 50megs and swap and /usr on the 2nd
partition (ad0s2). Now, when it begins to start the install and creating a
new filesystem, I get the following errors:

ad0s1: raw partition size != slice size
ad0s1: start 63, end 6136829, size 6136767
ad0s1c: start 63, end 96389, size 96327
(these 3 lines repeat several times)
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for swap partitions
Warning: 1978 sector(s) in last cylinder unallocated
/dev/rad0s1a:   96326 sectors in 24 cylinders of 1 tracks, 4096 sectors
	47.0MB in 2 cyl groups (16 c/g, 32.00MB/g, 5888 i/g)
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
(and that repeats until I stop it with a control-c)

Now, the geometry of my hdd is 26353/16/63 (cylinders/heads/sectors). When
I set it to LBA mode, it's 1653/255/63. I've tried both modes in my CMOS
and when I install BSD.

Furthermore, after I get these errors and I reboot, the settings in my
CMOS have changed for my hdd! That is really weird. However, I don't know
much bout hdds so perhaps it isn't that weird.

Anyone have any ideas? Much thanx in advance.