Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:24:35 +0000
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        damien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RFC: New firmware ports for ipw(4) and iwi(4)

Those of you following HEAD and RELENG_6 may have been experiencing
problems with ipw(4) and iwi(4) drivers lately because it could load
firmwares correctly, even if you installed net/ipw-firmware or
net/iwi-firmware.

If you had a look at recent changes, sam and max (heh) have been working
on a firmware framework. Support has been added to HEAD/RELENG_6 some
weeks ago. Recently damien committed changes to ipw(4) and iwi(4) to
support firmware(9).

These two ports are creating and installing kernel modules from intel
firmwares.

I only checked that everything compiled and installed fine, I can't try
it due to a lack of decent internet connection at home. I'm planning to
commit them within two days. Probably tomorrow or this afternoon if I
get successful reports.

If you're using ipw(4) and iwi(4) on a fresh FreeBSD system, please give
it a try and follow-up.

http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/ports/ipw-firmware-kmod.shar
http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/ports/iwi-firmware-kmod.shar

Since it may take some time before the distfiles hit mirrors, you can
grab them here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/distfiles/ipw/

--
Florent Thoumie