Date:      23 Aug 2001 00:04:11 -0700
From:      danh@gelatinous.com
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        rse@engelschall.com
Subject:   apache+modssl mysteriously not process .htaccess files

Hi I'm running FreeBS 4.3-STABLE, with a reasonably
current /usr/ports, I installed the apache13-modssl port,
everything went fine, I made a cert, I can serve websites,
the only one really annoying bizarre thing is the webserver
does not process .htaccess files, at all.

I've just tried doing different things, I've made blank
.htaccess files, I've put complete garbage in .htaccess
files, I've given a "AccessFile" directive instead,
no matter what I do, they're just not processed.

I get the same behavior whether I run with ssl on
(apachectl startssl) or with ssl off.

There's no errors in the logs either.

here's some pkg_info output:

bash-2.04# pkg_info | grep -i apache
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.20+2.8.4 The Apache 1.3 webserver with SSL/TLS functionality
apache-1.3.20       The extremely popular Apache http server.  Very fast, very
mod_php4-4.0.6_4    PHP4 module for Apache

thanks for any help.

- danh at gelatinous.com