Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:19:43 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended SSL-friendly crypto accelerator

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:18:33PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20040408144322.GA83448@bewilderbeast.blackhelicopters.org>, "Michae
> l W. Lucas" writes:
> >
> >Thanks, phk!
> >
> >For $79, it's cheap enough that I could put a whole stack of them in a
> >machine.  Can FreeBSD take advantage of multiple cards like that?
>
> I think so, but I am not sure the code currently does load-sharing
> or just "try to find a card which can do this job" sharing.
>
> Maybe sam@ would know, you should probably ask him.

OK, for the record I asked sam@.  He says that the VPN1401 has issues
for (at a minimum) symmetric crypto ops, but he hasn't had time to
investigate and doesn't own a 1401, so...

He also says that he considers the Broadcom 582x is the best
accelerator available, except that it isn't available retail.  :-(

So, it looks like my choices are rapidly narrowing.  It seems that the
powercrypt cards are well-supported, perhaps I'll give them a call.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
   "I'm sorry, but 'Social Darwinism' is no excuse for killing all of