Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:50:04 +0100
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <chris@hexanet.fr>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Excessive collisions on Ethernet

Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> Yes, it does look as though it's getting worse.  You may indeed
> >> have a fault somewhere.  I'd certainly check the cables first,
> >> and try swapping some of them around before pulling cards from
> >> machines.  (I have to pull video cards from five machines
> >> tomorrow to swap them for something that works with FreeBSD, so
> >> I'm a bit jaundiced about pulling cards at the moment :-) )
> >
> >    Anything less than 50% collision rate is okay and doesn't reduce the
> > throughput significantly. All of the numbers below are in the noise.
>
> You mean it's the noise that's causing the collisions?
>
> Seriously, it's clear that it's not affecting the performance, though
> that surprises me; how long does a board hold off after a collision?
> I haven't been able to find that info anywhere, but I once worked for
> a nameless computer manufacturer whose net had about 50% collisions,
> and the throughput was terrible.
>
> The real question was: why is this happening?  I still suspect that
> it's trying to tell me something, but I haven't a good feeling for
> what.

I have had the same problem , and it seems to be related to the fact
that some ethernet cards ( among which mine ) are not autodetect for
the port ( RJ45 or BNC ), try putting your machine on BNC and see what happen
suddendly all these problems go away ? :)) if so then just take your ethernet
card utility disk and switch the port to be used from BNC to RJ45

For info: I am using a <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)>

Christophe Prevotaux                   Email: chris@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                           URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A Farman Sud                         Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
9 rue Roland Coffignot		       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
BP415
51689 Reims Cedex 2                    Use a real OS, use UNIX
FRANCE                                        FreeBSD