Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:52:33 -0800
From:      Saint Aardvark the Carpeted <aardvark@saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com>
To:        Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snmpd Error opening specified endpoint

Antoine Jacoutot disturbed my sleep to write:
> I'm having a problem starting snmpd under FreeBSD-5.2-p2...
> I tried several options but I always get some strange errors.

Hm...it looks like you may already have snmp running, or at least
something else listening on UDP port 161:

> # netstat -a | grep snm
> udp4       0      0  *.snmp                 *.*

Try running "sockstat | grep 161" and posting the results.

Also, a quick Google for "snmp specified endpoint" turns up a fair
number of newsgroup messages; some seem to suggest that there may be
problems with the very latest version of net-snmpd.  By any chance, are
you compiling a very recent version?

Hugh

--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted